Friday, September 24, 2010

Healthy Habits: Taurine Scary!

Jacked in, friends?

We shall begin.

Many people are always telling me that energy drinks are bad because of the Taurine, and that some energy drinks contain alcohol. At the end of this post I will include a list of the drinks that do contain alcohol in them via energy-drink-rating, but this particular post will mainly concern the pros and cons of Taurine.

Before I begin; I apologize to anyone who takes this information as me being upset or angry at them in particular.  I am merely trying to get the information to all of my pals, so those who are less educated about the subject can become more knowledgeable about it.  (Yes, I am a bit upset but it is not directed at anyone!)

With that out of the way, there are some individuals who have told me many times that I shouldn't drink energy drinks (my favorite is Sugar Free Red Bull) because Taurine is bad for me or that it causes cancer.  Guess what?...

"[Taurine] is a major constituent of bile and can be found in the lower intestine and, in small amounts, in the tissues of many animals, including humans.[1][2] Taurine is a derivative of the sulfur-containing (sulfhydrylamino acidcysteine.", via http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taurine

Essentially, Taurine is already in your body. It is not a "foreign" chemical that "they" shove in energy drinks so that you develop cancer. Also, Taurine is found in most mammals. Some urban legends state that the Taurine found in energy drinks comes from bull urine extract or bull semen. Umm...negative, my friends. Taurine that is used in the food industry (and pharmaceuticals, for that matter) is chemically synthesized.   Scientists have learned that Taurine also helps...the...body...funtion! Oh my word! Seriously, if my lovely readers have time to read the linked articles, I think you would appreciate the information.

List of Alcoholic Energy Drinks: via Energy Drink Ratings

Drink Four
3SUm
Whisbih
Liquid Charge
B to the E (Budweiser Energy)
Rockstar 21 (or otherwise known as "Rockstar + Vodka" and "Rockstar + Vodka/Pomegranate")

I only knew of Sparks.

Have a wonderful day/evening.

End transmission.


(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

No comments:

Post a Comment